Apply for Assistance
Welcome to Action for Animals Maine. The pets in our lives are indeed one-of-a-kind! They bring us love, companionship and help us build strength in our daily lives. We are connected as they engage us. We engage them.
Most of all, they are cherished family members and often the only family we have. Sadly, when falling on hard times and facing financial hardship, our pets are directly affected, especially when their health is at risk.
Serving the regions of Lincoln County, Action for Animals Maine has a mandate to helping people in desperate need of financial assistance by supporting in the healthcare of their pets.
AFAM will contribute financial aid directly to the approved applicant’s veterinarian to help pay for procedures, hospitalization, medication, veterinary follow-ups, and emergency animal services to realize the owner’s pet’s full recovery.
And just like you, Action for Animals Maine wants all pets to have a long, happy, and healthy life! Attached, you will find the criteria for acceptance and a sample client application. We look forward to speaking with you further about what Action for Animals Maine can offer.
Board of Directors
Action for Animals Maine
Criteria for Acceptance
1. Action for Animals Maine does NOT cover:
- Preventative costs, including spaying and neutering
- Initial medical examinations, procedures, medications, and vaccinations for new pets to the home
- Annual routine examinations by a veterinarian
- Over-the-counter animal healthcare products
- Animal insurance
2. Action for Animals Maine will not publicize coverages for euthanasia. However, we will determine emergency calls on a by-case basis by the regulatory committee.
3. Action for Animals Maine board members who receive a request for help can be approved up to $150 in emergencies without the regulatory committee’s approval.
4. Action for Animals Maine will pay up to $500 per year from the last time the animal was helped.
Note: A letter of Care Credit Denial, a copy of valid ID, and proof of Lincoln County Residency must be submitted along with the client’s application.
5. Action for Animals Maine will verify all treatment and costs with the attending veterinarians. Payment will ONLY be made to the veterinarian or animal hospital administering care to that specific animal on a particular date/time.
6. Action for Animals Maine requires receipts of all expenses paid by this foundation from the attending veterinarian or animal hospital. The client’s due diligence ensures the attending veterinarian or animal hospital forward a copy of these expenses to Action for Animals Maine.
7. If for any reason Action for Animals Maine cannot assist the person or animal in need, a selection of foundations will be provided that may be more suitable to their needs