Apply for Assistance
Welcome to Action for Animals Maine. The pets in our lives are truly one-of-a-kind! They bring us love, companionship and help us build strength in our daily lives. We are connected together as they engage us, and we engage them. Most of all they are cherished family members and often the only family we have. Sadly, when falling on hard times and facing financial hardship our pets are directly affected, especially when their health is at risk.
Serving the regions of Lincoln County, Action for Animals Maine has a mandate to helping people in desperate need of financial assistance by supporting in the healthcare of their pets. AFAM will contribute financial aid directly to the approved applicant’s veterinarian to help pay for procedures, hospitalization, medication, veterinary follow-ups, and emergency animal services to realize the full recovery of the owner’s pet.
And just like you, Action for Animals Maine wants all pets to have a long, happy, and healthy life! Attached, you will find the criteria for acceptance and a sample client application. We look forward to speaking with you further about what Action for Animals Maine can offer.
Board of Directors
Action for Animals Maine
Criteria for Acceptance
1. Action for Animals Maine does NOT cover:
- Preventative costs, including spaying and neutering
- Initial medical examinations, procedures, medications, and inoculations for new pets to the home.
- Annual routine examinations by a veterinarian
- Over-the-counter animal healthcare products
- Animal insurance
2. Action for Animals Maine will not publicize coverages for euthanasia. However, we will determine emergency calls on a by-case basis by the regulatory committee.
3. Action for Animals Maine board members who receive a request for help can be approved up to $150 in emergency situations without the approval of the regulatory committee.
4. Action for Animals Maine may cover up to $500 for care/treatment per animal, per calendar year once approved by the regulatory committee.
Note: A letter of Care Credit Denial, a copy of valid ID, and proof of Lincoln County
Residency must be submitted along with the client application
5. Action for Animals Maine will verify all treatment and costs with the attending
veterinarians. Payment will ONLY be made to the veterinarian or animal hospital
administering care to that specific animal on a specific date/time.
6. Action for Animals Maine requires receipts of all expenses paid by this foundation
from the attending veterinarian or animal hospital. It is the client’s due diligence to
ensure the attending veterinarian or animal hospital forward a copy of these expenses
to Action for Animals Maine.
7. If for any reason Action for Animals Maine cannot assist the person or animal in need,
a selection of foundations will be provided that may be more suitable to their needs